Dr Tanaka Yoshiki (Japanese: 田中芳樹) is the novelist responsible for writing the Legend of Galactic Heroes novel series. He was born on 22 October 1952 in Kumamoto Prefecture, and earned a doctorate degree in both Japanese Language and (Japanese) Literature while in Graduate School at Gakushūin University, Tokyo.
He has written many novels in both the fantasy and science-fiction genres, including Arslan Senki (アルスラーン戦記), also known as The Heroic Legend of Arslan, Sohryuden: Legend of the Dragon Kings (創竜伝), and, of course, Ginga Eiyū Densetsu (銀河英雄伝説), better known as "The Legend of Galactic Heroes." Both series' of novels were eventually adapted into both anime series' and manga.
Tanaka is known to be avid fan of Chinese history: he has written multiple novels set China, and has also translated severals Chinese novels and literary collections, including "Sui Tang Yanyi" (隋唐演義, 'Romance of Sui and Tang') and "Shuo Yue Quan Zhuan" (說岳全傳, 'Telling the Complete Biography of Yue Fei'), and 'Gakuhi-den' (岳飛伝, 'The Story of Yue Fei'). (Wikipedia)
- Legend of the Galactic Heroes (Ginga eiyū densetsu 銀河英雄伝説, 1981–1987)
- The Heroic Legend of Arslan (Arslan Senki アルスラーン戦記, Part One 1986–1990, Part Two 1991–)
- Sohryuden: Legend of the Dragon Kings (Sohryuden 創竜伝, 1987–)
- Yakushiji Ryōko no Kaiki Jikenbo (薬師寺涼子の怪奇事件簿, 1996–)
- Tytania (タイタニア, 1988–)
- Ambition Waltz (Yabou Enbukyoku 野望円舞曲, co-authored with Yuki Oginome)
- 1998 Seiun Award (for Legend of the Galactic Heroes)